To Order by Phone Call: 1-866-354-5245 (1-541-926-3250 outside the U.S.)
Taking Prayer Walking to new Heights over Niagara Falls
Revs. Al and Deb Warner : Aug 2, 2012 : Set Free Inc
"Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls…" Ps. 42:7 NIV
"The King of the Wire puts his faith in the King of kings." QMI news agency
EDITOR'S NOTE: BCN has already published several articles regarding high wire walker Nik Wallenda's extraordinary and inspiring walk over Niagara back in June. However, this particular piece noted many of the prayerful activities of Believers in the area, and prophetic words which preceded that event. We felt it was important to include those as Nik's feat was actually a remarkable fulfillment of some of them. –Aimee Herd, BCN.
Revs. Al and Deb Warner
The eyes of the world were on Niagara Falls, twin cities in the U.S. and Canada, as Nik Wallenda performed his high-wire walk on June 15th. To the amazement of millions of people who watched breathlessly, Nik seemed calm, had a smile on his face, granted interviews during the walk, and spent much of the 26 heart-pounding minutes praying and quoting Scripture as the ABC crowd listened in.
Nik talked to both his earthly father, Terry, and his Heavenly Father:
"Thank You for Your peace, Lord. Thank You for Your confidence, God. Thank You Jesus."
"Thank You Jesus, my righteous King. Praise You, Father God. Praise You, Jesus."
"God is good. What an amazing opportunity. What a blessing."
"Oh Lord, You are my Savior, You are my King. You are my Jesus. You are my Counselor, You are my wisdom. Praise You Jesus."
Nick prayed and prophesied over two nations as the world held its collective breath. Of course Nik does not just pray when the television cameras are on, but as Nik says, "I'm always praying."
As is the case for Christians across the world, our region (which includes Western New York and Southern Ontario) has been believing for a move of God of epic proportions to come in our midst. We have fasted, we have prayed, we have repented, we have prophesied, we have come together. But could God have moved outside our religious 'box' to answer our collective prayers? I am reminded of God's word to Isaiah, "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" (Isaiah 43:19 a) Could a daredevil's stunt be an answer to our prayers?
Steve Shultz summed it up this way for his Elijah List readers shortly after the event: "…perhaps the MOST PROPHETIC EVENT that we have posted, is a link to a man walking from the USA to Canada. …God allows, even prophesied, that we would not 'see it coming' what HE was about to do."
As my wife Deb and I watched and listened to Nik, it dawned on us that we were observing the most surprising move of God that we have ever witnessed. What happened in the Niagara region to prepare for this unconventional move of God? Long before the international press turned its cameras toward Niagara, God was preparing the ground for seed and harvest.
Niagara Falls, NY, has been declining for 50 years.
God is resurrecting Niagara Falls. Recent highlights include:
August, 2006 – Cindy Jacobs' prophetic word at Niagara Falls:
February, 2008 – Pastors from Niagara Falls, NY, and Niagara Falls, Ontario, gather to pray.
September, 2008 – 400+ pastors and intercessors from both sides of the border, including the mayors of Niagara Falls, NY and Ontario, gathered and prayed on the Rainbow Bridge, thus spanning the Niagara Gorge and linking two nations in prayer. This was in response to a prophetic word given by Cindy Jacobs in 2006.
May, 2009 – Chuck Pierce's prophetic word:
April 17, 2012 – Doug Addison's prophetic word:
May 15, 2012 – Kathie Walters' prophetic word:
What are some lessons to be learned from Nik Wallenda?
1. Nik first dreamed of walking over Niagara Falls when his parents brought him here when he was 6. He stewarded the dream for 27 years, including years of training and planning, along with seemingly insurmountable obstacles and disappointments. Both the U.S. and Canada had to change their 128-year-old ban on Niagara Falls stunts. Divine dreams require persistence and endurance to complete successfully.
2. We were nervous when we heard that Nik Wallenda was going to perform in Niagara Falls. We were afraid that Nik might be added to the long list of visionaries that have come here and died, either literally or figuratively. But the season has changed. We cannot let the past paralyze our future. Although Nik fought it, ABC required that he be tethered throughout the walk. We believe the tether may be a prophetic picture—visionaries are safer when they are tethered (rightly aligned, connected to or partnering with) one another. We are better TOGETHER!
3. As Nik listened to the voice of his father, Terry, in his ear, he received the wisdom and encouragement he needed to complete his dream. Terry was also a veteran wire-walker with 36 years of experience. We have our Father's reassuring voice, as well as seasoned saints cheering us on. (Heb. 12)
4. Encouraged by the roar of the crowd as he got closer to land, Nik sprinted the final few steps. Nik finished well, as Scripture encourages us to do. But you may not hear the crowd's cheers until the end.
5. Even 'secular' news sources reported on Nik's faith in their coverage.
*The Toronto Star: "His wife and three children held hands and prayed with him minutes before he began. …Prayer comes easily to Nik, a Born-Again Christian, who thanked God and Jesus out loud—and through his microphone to the world—for much of his 26-minute feat."
*Good Morning America, ABC directly asked Nik about his praying while he walked the wire. "I prayed non-stop. The Bible says to pray without ceasing and I'm always praying."
*Buffalo News: "Once the cameras were shut off, Wallenda walked around the park, picked up cigarette butts and tried to make sure the piles of trash left by media staffers were cleaned up."
We often criticize secular television for its lack of positive coverage of Christian events. But ABC took this to a far greater audience than Christian television could have. ABC – 13.1 million viewers. Canadian CTV television – 6.8 million viewers. Internet viewers estimated at over a billion people worldwide (Enigma Research). Could it be that God is positioning Christians to "know their God… and carry out great exploits"? (Daniel 11:32, NKJV)
What's next for Nik and for our region? Nik told the Buffalo News, "There will always be a piece of my heart in Niagara Falls… The truth is, I do see a future here and hope to have a show in this area and hope to spend more time here."
Nik, thank you for releasing a new spirit to dream and hope again throughout our region. Perhaps you succeeded even beyond your own lofty goals to 'inspire people.' On behalf of our cities, thank you Nik, for hearing God and persevering to walk it out!
"So there was great joy in that city." Acts 8:8
Other Recent Articles from Breaking Christian News
Search the Articles Archives
All articles on this site and emails from BCN are copyrighted property of Breaking Christian News. Permission is given to link to, or share a BCN story if proper attribution is given to both the original writer and summarizer of the story. Breaking Christian News 2005-2012. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Articles and links, as well as the source articles linked to; do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Breaking Christian News.