To receive daily emails from Breaking Christian News to your inbox CLICK HERE


SHARE THIS ARTICLE Printer friendly version of this page

Anti-Trafficking Advocates Join Federal Lawsuit against Twitter Brought by Teen Sex Abuse Victim

News Staff : Feb 2, 2021  CBN News

"As John Doe's situation makes clear, Twitter is not committed to removing child sex abuse material from its platform. Even worse, Twitter contributes to and profits from the sexual exploitation of countless individuals because of its harmful practices and platform design." -Peter Gentala, senior legal counsel for the National Center on Sexual Exploitation Law Center

airlift[CBN News] Social media giant Twitter was recently hit with a federal lawsuit after it refused to take down pornographic images and videos of a teenage sex trafficking victim. (Image: Pixabay)

The New York Post reports Twitter refused to remove the disturbing content because their investigation "didn't find a violation" of the company's "policies."

Filed by the teenage victim and his mother, the lawsuit alleges Twitter made money off of the video clips that showed a 13-year-old boy engaged in sex acts. 

The boy identified in the lawsuit as "John Doe" was coerced by sex traffickers, who posed as a 16-year-old girl, to send sexual videos of himself, according to the Post.  The traffickers then blackmailed the teen, instructing him to send more sexually graphic photos and videos or the material he had already sent would be shared with his "parents, coach, pastor, and others." 

The boy finally blocked the traffickers, but in December 2019, the sexual material he sent them ended up on Twitter.  After filing a complaint with the social media giant, Twitter responded that they would not take down the material in question. By Jan. 28, 2020, the photos and videos had received 167,000 views and 2,223 retweets.

Published in the complaint is the boy's reply that he sent back to Twitter.

"What do you mean you don't see a problem? We both are minors right now and were minors at the time these videos were taken. We both were 13 years of age. We were baited, harassed, and threatened to take these videos that are now being posted without our permission. We did not authorize these videos AT ALL and they need to be taken down," the teen wrote back to the social media company. 

The suit says that Twitter only took down the material after a federal agent with the Department of Homeland Security issued a take-down demand and suspended the user accounts that were distributing the illegal child sexual abuse material.

Twitter released an emailed statement to The Post, writing "Twitter has zero-tolerance for any material that features or promotes child sexual exploitation. We aggressively fight online child sexual abuse and have heavily invested in technology and tools to enforce our policy." 

"Our dedicated teams work to stay ahead of bad-faith actors and to ensure we're doing everything we can to remove content, facilitate investigations, and protect minors from harm—both on and offline," the statement concluded. 

Now, The National Center on Sexual Exploitation Law Center (NCOSE) and The Haba Law Firm, have jointly filed in the lawsuit against Twitter, according to The Daily Wire

"As John Doe's situation makes clear, Twitter is not committed to removing child sex abuse material from its platform. Even worse, Twitter contributes to and profits from the sexual exploitation of countless individuals because of its harmful practices and platform design," said Peter Gentala, senior legal counsel for the National Center on Sexual Exploitation Law Center. "Despite its public expressions to the contrary, Twitter is swarming with uploaded child pornography and Twitter management does little or nothing to prevent it."

"Twitter clearly needs to properly address the egregious issues of exploitation and abuse happening throughout its platform," Gentala added. "We hope that John Doe receives some measure of justice and that this lawsuit will pave the way for other survivors to seek justice."

Lisa Haba, a partner at The Haba Law Firm, said in a statement to the Daily Wire, "All of these views could have been prevented by Twitter, but it inexplicably refused to remove Doe's videos despite clear proof that he is a minor. No child or parent should have to endure this egregious violation of their rights by a technology company." Subscribe for free to Breaking Christian News here







SHARE THIS ARTICLE Printer friendly version of this page

To receive daily emails from Breaking Christian News to your inbox CLICK HERE

Other Recent Articles from Breaking Christian News

House Steamrolls Religious Liberty, Votes to Pass LGBTQ Bill

'You've Permanently Damaged Them': Rand Paul Grills HHS Nominee for Supporting Trans Surgery for Minors

Biden Orders First Airstrike: Hits Iran Backed Militia in Response to Rocket Attacks

Horowitz: Oklahoma House Votes to Enable Legislature to Block Biden's Executive Orders

Missouri County Takes Preventive Action against Potential Gun Grab by Biden Administration

Pro-Life Doctor's Medical License Reinstated After He Was Suspended For Refusing To Do Late-Term Abortion

Health: Study Reveals Many People Sleep Less before a Full Moon

Dr. Corinne: Back Pain, Sciatica and What You Can Do to Help Alleviate It

Chip and Joanna Gaines Deliver a 'Fixer Upper' Transformation to a Girls Shelter with a Heart-Melting Mission

'Fairness for All' Bill an Alternative to Dangerous Equality Act: Would Provide Civil Liberties for LGBTQ, AND Protections for People of Faith

Biden Cancels Trump's 'Operation Talon' Program that Targeted Sex Offenders Living in US Illegally

West Virginia Bill Seeks to Recreate Trump's Ban on Critical Race Theory at the State Level

'Our World Lost a Giant of a Man Today': Celebrate Recovery Founder John Baker Dies

Mike Pompeo Joins American Center for Law and Justice, Will Appear on Daily Live Program 'Sekulow'

'Help Is On The Way': TobyMac's New Single Embraces Hope and Healing in Wake of Son's Tragic Death

Israel Receives One of the World's Oldest Esther Scrolls in Time for Purim Holiday

Take Action and Pray: the Dangerous So-Called 'Equality Act' is Cruising through Congress

House Democrats Lobby to Cancel Fox, Newsmax and OANN as a 'Destabilizing Threat' to America

Biden Admin: Prepare for Banks to Refuse Democrats' Enemies

Dozens of House Democrats want Biden to Give Up Sole Authority to Launch Nuclear Weapons



Search the Articles Archives

Keyword:  
Author:  
Words Posted On:  
Day Month Year



BCN Plus

An BCN Paid Advertisement
Follow BCN on Twitter
Are You Praying for Our Government Leaders?
BCN Staff

Steve Shultz
Steve Shultz, Managing Editor
Founder and Owner


Aimee Herd
Aimee Herd, Editor


BCN Plus
Are You Praying for President Trump?
 
 
BCN Contact Info

All articles on this site and emails from BCN are copyrighted property of Breaking Christian News. Permission is given to link to, or share a BCN story if proper attribution is given to both the original writer and summarizer of the story. Breaking Christian News 2005-2019. All Rights Reserved.


Breaking Christian News is a division of Elijah List Publications, Inc. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: Articles and links, as well as the source articles linked to; do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Breaking Christian News.

editor@breakingchristiannews.com